Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Seven Men by Eric Metaxas



                I like biographies, particularly those about people whom I know from their achievements. But, like many, my time does not always permit me the freedom to read every biography. So when I encountered the book "Seven Men:And the Secret of Their Greatness" by author Eric Metaxas, I was very glad to learn the contents of the pages, and was even more glad after I finished reading it. The author has done a spectacular job of writing the shortened biographies of seven great men in history, and what made them worthy of remembering to all of us.
                Eric Metaxas is a writer who used to work under Charles Colson at Prison Fellowship ministries and who currently still works with the "Breakpoint" radio program that Colson led for years. So, it was no surprise to find Charles Colson on the list of the seven great men whose lives the author chose to review. He has authored two previous full length biographies, one about William Wilberforce and the other about Dietrich Bonhoeffer, both whose capsulized stories are included in his newest contribution. But, those that I have described already are just three of the figures you'll be happy to read about in this fascinating book. The other heroes he mentions are equally worth paying attention to as you study.
                Whether it is heart breaking abuse Jackie Robinson endured as the first African American baseball player, or the courage of William Wilberforce to abolish slavery from his own country, the stories will lead on a journey through the lives of those whose influence can be felt still, even many years after their death. I was particularly moved to tears when I read the story of Eric Liddell, who is best known for his Olympic feats and for his resistance to run on a Sunday (featured in the film 'Chariots of Fire'). But, the story of the rest of his life after the Olympics, including the sacrifices he made as a Christian missionary to China, is what sets him apart form others in history. I found his example truly Christ-like and an inspiration to us all.
                 You may not agree with all of those whom the author has chosen to write about in this book. But, I do believe you'll have to agree after reading it that all of them achieved great things, often against terrible odds and opposition. They are all worthy of our respect and we can learn much from the legacy that they leave behind for all of us to follow. This book was given to me complimentary as a part of the book review program for bloggers at www.booksneeze.com. I think you will agree after reviewing it that it was both an educational and inspiring book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment