Monday, February 16, 2009

Acceptance

Ephesians 1:6 says "To the praise of the glory of His grace, wherein He hath made us accepted in the beloved." Everybody wants to be accepted. Often people will join groups, form bonds and build relationships just to be accepted. Unfortunately, people also form toxic relationships for the same reason. They choose people who don't treat them well, just because they 'accept' them. Bad friendships and marriages develop this way. I have known the Lord Jesus Christ for over 20 years and had struggled with acceptace for many, many years prior to submitting to the Lordship of Christ.

I grew up with an alcoholic father who was extremely verbally abusive and demeaning. I grew up with friends who I didn't realize weren't really friends, and missed discovering those who could have been friends indeed. When I was 16 I repented of sin and submitted to Jesus' Lorship of my life. I found someone who knew everything about me and accepted me (mess that I was). But, we all still live with people and want acceptance.

One of the reasons I love my wife (Jane) is because she accepts me. She knows everything that there is to know about me, has known me for 22 years and has accepted me at all stages of life. Many people struggle with deep and intimate friendships their entire lives, claiming that they don't have even one person they consider a close friend. Others frequently bemoan the fact that everyone judges them and no one accepts them. In order to have a friendship, there has to be trust and in order for there to be trust, we have to be accepted.

Ultimately though, our acceptance comes from Jesus. Though no one understands, listens, cares for us or even acknowledges us, God accepts us. One Strong's Concordance definition of acceptance is "to make lovely or deserving of love" None of us deserve love. We are sinful from birth. But, God has made us accepted in the beloved. Go forward and live like somebody accepts you, because they do!

No comments:

Post a Comment