Saturday, February 7, 2009

Charismatic Hermeneutics - An Oxymoron

The title of this post alone would confuse most charismatic church members. The word Hermeneutics, as used in a Biblical context, can best be defined as bible inerterpretation, or 'how to study the Bible'. I wonder why people have to use big words and simply don't say it. But, anyway, after the last post inspired comments from both ANDVisionary and Mwitowich (hmmm, I don't remember writing that one), I wanted to see if DOC actually reads my posts for this one.

The charismatic community of which I've been a part for over 23 years seems to pride itself on shying away from indepth bible study (ie - verse by verse from people who actually know Greek and Hebrew). The defense of this behavior is 'the Holy Spirit teaches me everything'. Expanding on what one Bible teacher commented "when did the Holy Spirit teach you the alphabet, science, math or how to drive". We all have to learn from somwhere.

2 Timothy 2:15 tells us to "study to show thyself approved unto God". One of the things I've done in the last few years is begin verse by verse expositional studies of scripture and it has opened a new world to me. I encourage you to learn scripture and LIVE it. There is nothing more important to your spiritual life. Be a charismatic scholar...that'll mean you stick out like Paris Hilton on the streets of Harlem. Say 'Amen' DOC.

2 comments:

  1. thank you mommy thank you daddy i love you 2 i love you even better when i can pass algebra hopefully not 4 the 3d time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. were do u find big words like that? hermeneutics that word is so long where did u find it.

    ReplyDelete